Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A new blog

Hi,
until I accidentally stumbled upon a book written by the Yarn Harlot, I always thought I was the only crazy knitter and that there was something seriously wrong with me. I seemed to collect wool wherever I went and felt seriously depressed when I had no knitting project with me. This book really fascinated me, because it was fun to read and made feel very close to the writer who actually seemed to have a similar approach on life. It made me curious about the Yarn Harlot's blog that was mentioned on the books cover. I then found myself reading the complete archives of her blog and enjoying myself tremendously while doing so. I love her unique concept of life just as much as her wonderful humorous pictographic language. Reading the blog made me think, that there probably were quite a few others like me out there, even others who might have the same qualms about their state of mind that I have.
Knitting and reading the blog I felt that in order to get in touch with others like myself I should start a blog, too.

My whole life away from work is dominated by knitting (I like to think it is to better keep in touch with my inner equilibrium) and though I am by far not as fast nor as good a knitter as Stephanie Pearl-McPhee is, I pride myself to be quite an experienced knitter.
I was taught to knit at the tender age of 6, but I somehow didn't like it then. 5 years later I needed something to occupy my mind while I was hospitalised for about three weeks. So I asked for knitting needles and yarn. My Mom brought both, but I seemed unable to even cast on. So I asked my Mom to bring me a scarf that was knit by my Grandma and started reverse engineering. And it worked, with a lot of trial and error accompanied by frequent swearing I taught myself to knit. My first knitting projects were rather crude and not very shapely but luckily my knitting skills have improved some in the last 37 years.
When I am not knitting I am a general practitioner. I have been married for the past thirteen years and I have two daughters, one aged eleven and the other eight years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment